Saturday, August 4, 2012

Garden Club

Forming a garden club is not difficult.  All it calls for is two people who love to garden and "tadaaa" a garden club is born!  

My friend, Gail, and I have decided to create a sedum planting for our first "event." The assignment was to reuse something from our stash of containers for the planter. Gail found two planters that were given to her and had been tucked away for years. They are perfect. I chose an old tin wash basin and a oil drain pan.  It is metal. Neither of us had containers with holes for drainage, so we layered rocks first, and then added a rich soil that contained fertilizer. I believe it is called Black Gold. Sedum's do just fine with this kind of planting as long as they aren't over watered. I spray mine down each morning before the sun reaches them. Sedum grow well in a semi-sun/shade location.  
We each had 28 tiny plants in various textures and colors.  They are happy little plants, don't you think?




I added a small clay pot and filled it with pebbles. It is tucked deep into the soil and the plants will encroach around it very quickly.
 Larger rocks were added to the plant scape below.
Growing happily........
 .....and then I decided to put the white birds into the mix.


The garden has become refreshing and life giving.....restorative.  This is a place to sit and watch as the birds fly in for a drink from the bird bath.  I like to read here in the afternoon, and after the sun has gone behind the trees.

Our second garden club project was to plant clay pots with geraniums, grass and small yellow cascading daisies.


The combination of color picks up the brown in our house and the arrangement pops with brightness!

We are off on our garden club adventure!  Who knows what we'll do next but we have talked about using a mass of purple pansies.......we'll see and I will share!  
 Happy Gardening!!

4 comments:

  1. What a fun idea with pleasing results! That's great that you have a friend to enjoy this with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm finally back online and trying to get caught up!

    Everything is beautiful Julene. I'm ashamed of my garden! I have lots of excuses though and a commitment to doing better next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a garden club and communne and digging with plant-minded-like friends. LOVE that mini container garden with succulents. Your gardening inspires me, Julene! :o) Happy Days ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to have a garden club and plant the same flowers together. Your sedum garden will thrive in that happy place.

    ReplyDelete