Saturday, January 5, 2013

It is a Happy New Year!

The New Year opens up another opportunity to share the wonders that come to us each day, and on the first day of January we had a visitor that has decided to stay!  Our little hummingbird is not a migratory bird. This species does stay in the Pacific Northwest to weather the winter.  He is referred to as "resident" hummingbird!  In the past several days, with the feeder full of nectar, we have seen three separate hummingbirds visit for a sip of sweetness!  
Look closely at the top bird, see his tiny white tongue extended, and about to dip into the feeder. 
This particular little bird allowed me to capture his movements for several minutes.  He didn't fly off when I opened the front door, went back inside to get the camera, and returned to start snapping numerous photos. 







In the months ahead we will see the return of "the birds."  Our first year in the new house has given us a glimpse of the bird population, and this time we will be prepared to lure them back in droves.  Our local farm store has all the supplies and feeders we will need to help with that endeavor!
An extra thrill will be taking the photos from my new G15 Cannon Power Shot camera!  Those of us who blog, and share our photography, understand when we say that digital photography has changed our lives.  It is easy to be a photographer and take all the photos we want.
It is a Happy New Year!  




6 comments:

  1. Amen to digital photography. It really has been a blessing in my life. Love your little visitor!!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love hummingbirds! I have to say that's one of the calmest I've ever seen lol. I agree about digital photography as well. No worry about wasting film or having to wait to see the results! I may have to go back to a Canon one of these days. I really liked mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I can't believe you captured those photos! Usually hummingbirds are so very skittish. He must have been terribly hungry.
    Enjoy that new camera!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work, Julene! Congrats on the new camera. Will be watching for more gems in the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know you had a new blog! So glad I've found it. :o) Merry Christmas! Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year, Julene! Lovely to hear about your Christmas. And super news on the new camera--enjoy the new toy! ;o) Great to have you back here! Wishing you & yours all the best of LOVE, PEACE & JOY in 2013! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete