Saturday, April 20, 2013

A day at Bishop's Close

I have posted about Bishop's Close before, but not during the season of Spring.  It is an easy place to visit and rarely are there more than two cars in the parking lot.  I don't find many people in my circle of friends who even know about it.  I suppose if you are Episcopalian then it would be familiar, since it is the location of the Episcopal Diocese of Portland.  I have shared this Portland treasure with many good friends, and they often return time and again. 


The ten acre garden appears to have the finest of care from all perspectives.  Those of us who garden know what it takes to keep up a garden, and this garden is no exception to what consistent care provides. 
View along the back of Bishop's Close and near the river front.
Another view of the mansion and a lovely blooming Magnolia tree.  The garden is known for the many varities of Magnolia's that range in size and color.

The property has numerous paths that lead to groomed and natural gardens.


In a part of the garden that grows wild flowers, I found several Oregon Fawn Lilies.  They are one of my favorite wild flowers, and not found easily.
Lily of the Valley is planted in a groomed patch along a path in the back of the gardens. 

Here is a view of the Willamette River which flows through the city of Portland and continues up the valley for miles.
Trilliums grow abundantly!
Oregon Grape in full bloom and Oregon's state flower. It is beautiful this time of year! 

All of these photos were taken with my phone camera, and after looking at the lens with dust covering it, they aren't so bad.  :)

We are enjoying an overnight visit with our 2 1/2 year old grandson!  What is in your weekend?

4 comments:

  1. So lovely Julene. This is my kind of place to explore...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such peace and tranquility this place has! So glad you took us along, Julene--I've loved seeing it again! :o) This weekend we have been doing mostly practical things--shopping, errands, laundry, etc. But today, Sunday, we relax & rest a little--reading, music, good food... Sunday is the best day of the week! Happy Weekend, my friend ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh trilliums! They are my most vivid memory of spring in my childhood. I'd find them in the woods across the pasture from our house.
    Bishops Close is truly a treasure--miss it.
    My weekend has been hot weather, a bit of gardening, but mostly spinning with other guild members on Saturday at the Scandinavian Festival.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW~ what an amazing place!! LOVED these pictures!

    ReplyDelete