Friday, March 27, 2015

Just for fun!

Way back in 1949 a little Christian School opened it's doors in the West Hills of Portland, Oregon.  Today it continues, and many of our family members have attended over the years.  Recently I went to the web site of West Hills Christian School, opened the History page, and found this picture.
 
It's a bit blurry but not difficult for me or my husband to pick out those we know, and have a good laugh!
Front row, bottom from the right is Danny Lockwood, former President of Multnomah University, Portland, Oregon.
Next to him is my brother Reed, and next to Reed is Dan Whitcher, my husband's cousin.
Second row, second boy on the right is my husband, Jim. Top row, far left is Jim's cousin Jane.
Top row, smack dab in the middle is another of Jim's cousins, Chuck.  My brother and Chuck used to have punching fights quite a bit at this little Christian School!  Everyone else in the picture is memorable, too! 
Don't you just love the style of hair and clothes?  This picture was taken in the Spring of 1958. I remember that t-shirt my brother has on.  It was brown and orange striped and probably not in the dress code for the school! I think the boys were suppose to wear collared shirts and no blue jeans.  The girls had to wear dresses and that continued until 1970. 
If you're at all interested in the school you can take a look here:  West Hills Christian School.
 
Another "Just For Fun" moment from this week!
 
Bart found a ladle I had hung on the bird bath. It was full of rain water, and just exactly right for him to drink from. The bird bath is seated on the top of the septic tank, and the area is still "under construction!" The ladle was to water some small pansy's that were planted.  It tickles me when moments like this appear and I have my camera handy!  How about you?
"That was a good drink," said Bart.
I'm thankful for the history of years gone by, and for the little things put in my scope of day to day living! 

4 comments:

  1. That 's a great school shot. Yep we had to wear dresses all through my school years. That's a fun ladle shot. Have a great weekend. Looks like our nice weather is continuing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart cat! And how fun about the photo. Neither Dan nor I have true local roots here, so there aren't opportunities like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a good school photo. We also had to wear skirts/dresses to school throughout my schooling, graduated in '67.

    Love Bart drinking out of the ladle. It was ready and waiting for him.

    Happy Spring & Happy Easter week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, good catch with your camera, your cat drinking from the ladle . What are the chances that would happen if you waited for such a picture.

    I remember the days of girls wearing only dresses or skirts to school, and it was when I was in high school we cold begin wearing pants to school...but NOT jeans. Had to be dress pants.

    Great old picture with some memorable people who aren't really that old. :)

    ReplyDelete