Sunday, January 31, 2016

Eternal Spring/Ovid

"The cheerful birds their airy carols sing, And the whole year is one eternal spring. " Ovid
 
I am not trained birder person, but I do enjoy watching the birds come to our feeding area.  I like to learn about the birds as they appear before us.
Today, while reading my new March issue of Birds & Blooms magazine, I heard a ruckus outside. 
A very healthy Flicker had shooed away the smaller birds and took over the suet hanger just outside our front door.  While I scurried to get something to take a photo with....you know,  phone, iPad or camera, it mostly devoured the remnants of the cake.  When lifting the blinds to catch a better look, Big Flicker flew off. 
 

 Look at that beak!

Before I knew it another type of woodpecker came to scrape the leavings.  It looks to be a Hairy woodpecker.  Both of these woodpecker types make quite a noise when they want to.

 These photos are a bit blurred due to my dirty windows but I could see the red on the Hairy Woodpeckers head in real life.
 
 
Right now.....this very minute my husband is washing the window I use for taking these pictures!
That is just another sign of the coming spring and hope for sunny days!!
I could use some "eternal spring. " How about you?
 
Below are a few quotes from the Wise man, Ovid.  I like what he says. :)
 
Happy is the man who has broken the chains which hurt the mind, and has given up worrying once and for all.
 
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.
Happy are those who dare courageously to defend what they love.  Ovid 43 BC
 

1 comment:

  1. Those beaks are something else! Ha, speaking of dirty windows!! I love Spring!

    ReplyDelete