Thursday, March 10, 2016

Student watercolor paints and journal coloring book

 When my kids were young, kindergarten and third grade, I was hired at our local district as a teacher's aid.  To my delight we had children's author's come to visit the school several times a year, and I was asked to create large "copies" of their books artwork for display.  It gave me experience
with student grade art materials, and I quickly understood that painting (not coloring) a large piece of butcher paper with a picture on it, was the quickest way to get the job done. I assisted teachers for about four years, after which I applied for a Science curriculum job, and changed my path. 
The love of drawing, using color and creating pretty things have followed me almost daily since that time. 
Below are some drawings, done quickly, for use as a  journal coloring book.  It is something I work on periodically.  The paint set is student grade and one I couldn't resist.  It is a Grumbacher watercolor set, $37.85 on Amazon.    Fine for budding artists and anyone for that matter.  The downside of them is they aren't quite as brilliant as professional grade paints, but for learning, and playing I suggest them strongly.  They are better than the cheaper student paint sets that cost very little, and deliver weak color. 
 
 
 The art journal book I've chosen to use is called Nature's Sketch, 9" x 6".   It is available locally, has a nice weight paper of 130lb, and good tooth for the paint. 
 
 
 
 

 
  

These few pages were done with permanent felt tip pen, and watercolor. It felt like play!  My time was well spent to explore another avenue of watercolor painting and create coloring pages for future grandkid time!  All four of mine like to draw, color and paint!  I like to provide art time for them because it brings another element of play into their lives and art is enriching!

Thanks for coming to Paint Party Friday  and for my week two contribution!

14 comments:

  1. A wonderful endeavor for your creative talents...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work. Happy PPF, Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love the illustrations you have done in the new book. The crispness of the images really is beautifully done and makes the images pop right off the pages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pages are wonderful and so promising. I'm all about spring right now, and see spring everywhere. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. really beautiful springtime creations-love those poppies especially! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work, and Loved hearing your art journey story!! Thanks for sharing!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful drawings and watercolor paintings! I agree about the brilliance of the watercolors however your pages look great. Happy PPF Birthday. Hugs, Rasz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your paintings are just beautiful, love them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So lovely! Beautiful! Happy PPF! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really wonderful illustrations. I am trying my hand at watercolors tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are wonderful! So bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. your paintings are lovely and fresh and light... a real delight... and the colours are wonderful for student grade paints... I am amazed at their strength... so sorry I am so late getting to visit this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your simple and colorful drawings. I labor to keep things simple.

    ReplyDelete