Friday, May 6, 2016

Color study

The study of color is fascinating.  I don't feel confident about what to use in a picture unless I understand how the colors go together, and harmonize. 
The study below is using transparent colors. Not all watercolor is transparent.
 It's kind of hard to see but the large strips of color are:
Lemon, Rose Madder, Cobalt, Veridian green, Gamboge, Scarlett Lake, Phthalo Blue and Burnt Sienna.  The smaller strips of paint are the same colors laid against the large strips to show what happens when the colors are overlapped. 


I've worked up a couple of paintings using another persons designs and didn't come close to doing them justice. I would give the artists credit but I haven't a clue who they are. They came from an artists magazine.  The paintings were fun to do as a study in vibrant color. 

I learned from an artist a few years back to paint little squares of color on the paper with the color palette I am using.  It's handy for remembering and for future painting reference.

That's it for this weeks Paint Party Friday, hosted by Kristin and Eva.  Take a look at all the other artists work!

I will be absent for a couple of weeks but will be back after that.  I have been gone for the past two weeks, too.  I'm not so good at getting things prepared ahead of time. I also don't know how to join the party ahead of time and schedule the post?  Advice? 
 I'll share about my adventures when I return! 
 
Have a great couple of weeks! 

10 comments:

  1. I think your art is divine. The idea of making a color swatch is brilliant. See you when you come back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful water colours, love what you have made, and I will remember that idea of putting the colours onto the age. You can schedule the post to publish at a certain time, but would still need to link up or ask someone to link for you. Or you could just enjoy your time off! Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are really nice little paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is so interesting! Love the color swatches and the paintings are so beautiful! I was just going to explain about posting ahead of time, but I see Valerie has beat me to it. I ditto her remarks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Color pallets are fun! The art that follows is great! I wish you another creative week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful colour combos. Thanks for the tips.
    Happy weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful watercolor pieces and a great idea to make color swatches too. Enjoy your time away. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll definitely five the colour swatches a try Julene,
    Great artwork. Have fun and enjoy your time away.
    Happy PPF to you

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so organised! I just grab whatever I feel like and slap it down. Sometimes I regret it and have to grab the gesso :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your sense of color is amazing!

    ReplyDelete