Friday, May 20, 2016

Watercolor Sketchbook Journaling

Last week I was in Boone, North Carolina taking a sketchbook watercolor journaling workshop at Cheap Joe's.  Leslie Fehling was our instructor and she did a fabulous job at presenting, encouraging and teaching!  The class spent five days engulfed in the art of sketchbook journaling and now have the needed understanding of how to approach it.  First of all I learned that I can do it, and it doesn't matter if is isn't perfect!  Refreshing approach! 


Below is the book I chose to start journaling in: Stillman & Birn Beta Series Sketchbook, 7in. x 10in. wire bound book.  Made especially for Mixed Media and easy to work in.  It was suggested by our teacher, Leslie Fehling. 
      Stillman & Birn Beta Series Sketchbooks 7 in. x 10 in. wire bound 25 sheets    One assignment was to choose six pieces of "cute" candy and lay it on our table top.  We were instructed to draw seven windows on a sketchbook page, using one for the title (Candy).  In the first box we were to take 60 seconds and quickly draw one piece of candy, second box take 60 seconds, third 45 seconds, fourth 30 seconds, fifth 30 seconds, and sixth 15 seconds.  The point was to draw quickly, using minimal lines.  After that was done we used our Micron permanent ink pens to outline and then painted.  After the painting was done we added corner embellishments and borders. 
This is a simple page but isn't it fun?  My hope it to grow this idea of journaling and expand how I use it to fill the creative space in my life.  I invite you to go over to Leslie Fehling's blog and see all that she has done with journaling and watercolor.  Her books are full of life, charm and expression.  They are also filled with her life and feed the soul!  I can't recommend her teaching enough! 


Taking a workshop at Cheap Joe's in Boone, North Carolina was a treat.  Each day we were spoiled with gifts, and good food. Joe Miller the owner of Cheap Joe's came into our class several times to enliven, and encourage.  He took us on a tour of the business, too.  There is a lot to operating, and maintain a business that caters to walk in customers, as well as on-line ordering. 



Thank you, Leslie, for an amazing class!  I'm still relishing in the new found instruction that has opened up my watercolor experience.  It is going to improve my drawing and painting skills, besides give me focus on daily awareness of my surroundings.  I'm simply grateful!  I can't wait for another class!! 


North Carolina is a beautiful state and one I'd like to return to.






Countryside of Boone, NC.


All this to say, Happy Paint Party Friday,  keep on painting, creating and having fun at the same time!  Thank you Kristin and Eva! 

10 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a good time. Enjoy your journaling. Happy PPF, hugs Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing . I m new in sketchbook writing s well but love it more and more

    ReplyDelete
  3. you sketchbook page looks beautifully yummy!!
    thats sounds like a wonderful clas, in such a beautiful spot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful workshop. Good approach to artjournaling. Haven't been to NC in a while. Your post makes me want too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the drawing challenge with the candy. You did a GREAT job. Your picture of North Carolina is beautiful. Anyone could be inspired in that surroundings. Hope you are having lots of fun. Happy PPF and enjoy your upcoming week! Rasz

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOhh how fabulous to have a class at Cheap Joe's. Glad you had such a great experience. I too love the candy challenge. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is SO great! I love your painting of candies. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great exercise..thanks for sharing it and your wonderful candy....I love how fun this turned out!! Great job!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how fun!! I order from Cheap Joes often and "love" them as they seem to be such a personable bunch of people. I do not live too far away and have often contemplated taking a class... encourage me in that direction!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. interesting way of creating. Have to try it for myself :)

    ReplyDelete