Saturday, June 4, 2016

Quick sketching.....30 day challenge.

After taking the Sketching Journal class with Leslie Fehling, I agreed to do a thirty day challenge, which consists of doing a quick sketch each day for thirty days.  This is day two and the subject revolves around what is planted in my garden.  The sketches took seconds to draw, after I created the boxes.  When drawing the boxes I didn't know what would go into each one.  I simply walked outside, and began drawing what is in one herb pot, and included my raised garden area.
Each day will be a different and certainly not all of them will be a two page spread. 


Watercolor sketching is quite different that pure watercolor painting.  It's more playful and less concerned about getting every detail painted exactly as seen.  Painting a picture can be playful too, but a bit more thought goes into it than in a sketchbook. 
I hope to improve my drawing skills and have a wonderful book of memories to look back on when it's done.  Another aspect of journaling is writing the story of what the sketch is about, and I have not quite gotten to that, yet.
This kind of art is exactly what I felt was needed in my everyday creative pursuits.  It fills that need to express life through color and marks on paper.  I'm grateful for the new found skill that helps me go forward and continue to art play! 
Happy Paint Party Friday!  Thanks to all of you who visit and comment.  It is a great encourager!


7 comments:

  1. Love the water colour sketches, well done! Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! Wonderful layout and color and lettering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your wonderful skills! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this more playful watercolor sketch. Have a very nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great project. I would love to develop that skill of quick sketches that I don't have to wad up and throw away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are awesome....love all those herbs too!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see what else you have sketched!

    ReplyDelete